St. Alphonsus Parish
St. Alphonsus Parish, as it exists today, was canonically established on September 3, 1993, following the suppression of four historically and spiritually significant predecessor parishes or missions, which included St. Alphonsus (1841) in Murrinsville, St. Paschal (1911) in Argentine, St. Louis (1919) in West Sunbury, and Epiphany (1925) in Boyers.
As you can see, this rural parish in northern Butler County of the Diocese of Pittsburgh has a rich and varied history. The first pastor/administrator of the newly established and reorganized Parish of St. Alphonsus was Father Albert C. Koser who served from 1993 until 2005. Father Richard J. Thompson succeeded in June 2005 until July 2008. Father James R. Bedillion was appointed administrator on July 7, 2008 and continues in that capacity.
The Parish Office and Priest's Residence (Rectory) relocated from the Murrinsville site of St. Alphonsus Parish on September 1, 2010. The Parish Office, the Parish Religious Education Center and the Rectory are now located at the West Sunbury site of the Parish: 202 West State Street, P.O. Box 246, West Sunbury, PA 16061.
The 2011 Annual Parish Report to the Diocese of Pittsburgh indicates there are 335 households in the Parish, with approximately 764 individuals (both active and inactive). The October count of 2011 reported an average of 302 worshippers on a typical Sunday, at four Masses celebrated at three worship sites within the Parish. In 2011 there were six baptisms, one marriage and fourteen deaths. Eighty-five students are enrolled in the Parish elementary religious education program and are instructed by ten catechists. The Parish has an active youth ministry for middle and high school youth.
Administrator Fr. James Bedillion
History of St. Alphonsus Parish